Photo challenge: Inner and outside worlds colliding

1161 Views 13 Comments

This week, I’m taking part in The Daily Post’s photo challenge by “letting my inner world and the outside one converge in a photo.”

For this week’s challenge, Ben Huberman, an editor at WordPress.com/Automattic, put out a call to share a photo that has a strong connection between what we see and what was felt as the shutter button was pressed.

Huberman says that photos show us the surface of things, but they often tell much deeper stories about the objects they depict — and about the people who take them.

For this challenge, my mind immediately jumped to a photo I snapped in Paris, France, a few years ago. After enjoying a late meal somewhere in the Bastille neighbourhood, my wife and I wandered the winding streets, trying as best we could to blend in with the Parisians.

With no particular destination in mind, we stumbled upon the Seine River and walked alongside a dinner cruise ship slowly making its way up the river. The air was warm, the street-side cafés were alive with people enjoying after-dinner drinks and buskers were preparing to begin their evening shows.

We eventually found ourselves in front of the Notre-Dame Cathedral and were drawn to the base of the church to watch a team of fire dancers twirl balls of fire around themselves and onlookers.

For me, the photo shown below captures some of the magic of that night; our inner-wonder and thrill of exploring a new part of the world converging with a mystic moment. With moments like this, it’s easy to see why Paris is still known as The City of Light.

Notre Dame de Paris, Fire Dance, Fire Dancer, Paris, France, photo challenge

To catch a glimpse of other people’s State of Mind photos, visit The Daily Post.

13 Comments
  • schlenkerkelly March 20, 2016, 11:38 am Reply

What a powerful image!! 🙂 Love this – Paris is beautiful on its own but certainly capturing those fire dancers was a profound experience. Thank you for sharing! 🙂

• Jon March 20, 2016, 11:51 am

Thanks so much – yes, it was quite the experience!

• restlessjo March 18, 2016, 9:38 pm Reply

What a night! 🙂

• Jon March 20, 2016, 11:52 am

Thanks for visiting my blog!

• estelea March 4, 2016, 10:48 am Reply

You really gave a beautiful tribute to my hometown, thanks! Your pics perfectly translate the feeling of beauty of the everlasting monuments – our history and the movements you so beautifully caught is simply.. life!
    Can’t wait to visit Paris again at the end of the month 🙂

• Jon March 4, 2016, 3:46 pm

Thanks so much Estelea – I’m thrilled to read you liked my photos!

• Haylee March 3, 2016, 9:39 pm Reply

Notre Dame is such a stunning backdrop, one of my favourite locations in Paris. It’s a great capture of the fire-eater, almost seems like they’re lighting the whole building.

• Jon March 3, 2016, 10:46 pm

Thanks so much Haylee!

• Mario February 29, 2016, 12:24 pm Reply

Jon, Another great entry to your log! As an avid amateur photographer myself I understand the impact that a photograph can have and how they can be interpreted differently depending on a person’s perception, background and personal experiences. In September 2015 I finally had the opportunity to visit Rome and Malta. I took plenty of pictures including the Forum and Coliseum and the impact these pictures continue to have on me are remarkable. To know or understand that you are walking on the same cobblestones that were used 2000 or more years ago leaves me with a profound and awesome feeling. The same is true when I look back at the pictures taken in Malta; the island of my birth. The emotions and sense of connection that result continue to give me goose bumps every time I look at them! Great entry Jon!!

• Jon February 29, 2016, 2:24 pm

Thanks Mario! You should consider starting your own blog sometime soon 🙂

• M.C. Scripturus February 29, 2016, 7:08 am Reply

Awesome photos! Love these!

• Jon February 29, 2016, 2:24 pm